WPI’s Robotics and Intelligent Vehicles Research (RIVeR) Laboratory (robot.neu.edu) is leading a new initiative called Major Qualifying Project-Vertically Integrated Experience (MQP-VINE, in short). Within the scope of an MQP-VINE, students will have an opportunity to begin their MQP experience as early as their sophomore year by getting involved in our cross-disciplinary sponsored research projects on assistive robotics, autonomous exploration rovers, aerial vehicles, human-in-the-loop robot control, and cyber physical systems. In its full implementation, we envision that students will gain theoretical knowledge and practical skills in robotics engineering by completing their MQP in functional multidisciplinary project teams of sophomores, juniors, and seniors on well-scoped yet challenging projects.
In a nutshell, here’s how it works.
– If you are a rising sophomore now, you will complete your MQP over three years by registering 1/3 units each year.
– If you are a rising junior, you will complete your MQP over two years by registering 1/3+2/3 units.
– It is expected that you will spread your units over at least two terms each year.
– It is expected that you will commit 9-11 hours (on average) per week for each 1/6 unit that you register.
– It is expected that you will “stay with problems” for the duration of the project regardless of the units you register.
At this time, we are seeking applications from rising sophomores and rising juniors majoring in RBE, ECE, CS, and ME programs. Double majors are welcome to apply. We expect to recruit up to three sophomores and three juniors this year.
Please send the following information to email@example.com if you are interested in joining the MQP-VINE in RIVeR Lab.
– A resume including your name, contact information, academic standing, project work, skills, and other relevant information.
– An unofficial copy of your transcript from Bannerweb.
– A short essays (200 words or less) on your research interests, goals, and preparation.
All relevant questions can be directed to Professor Padir, firstname.lastname@example.org.